Just like a child with a new toy, I used my new stove-top grill every time I cooked.
When we were still living in Manila, I never had the time to cook breakfast like this on a weekday. I wake up at 4:30 in the morning, and prepare the leftover food we had for dinner for breakfast. We have to leave the house at 6:00am to bring the children to school. We usually arrive at 7:00am, 30 minutes before classes begin. Just imagine traveling one hour for a distance of 5 kilometers!
In Toronto, everything changed. I wake up at 6:00am, I still make breakfast for the family, and leave for work at 8:15am and arriving 10 minutes before 9:00am.
So today I prepared breakfast like we were in an “expensive” restaurant. I wish. And you can prepare this breakfast meal for your family.
Let’s have grilled sausages, tomatoes, cucumber, fried egg and fried rice – for breakfast!
So what do we need?
For the sausages(you can buy this in the supermarket. You don’t need to make this.)
- 5 sausages(because we are 5 in the family)
For the fried rice:
- 5 cups of cooked rice
- 5-6 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of oil
For the fried egg(sunny-side up):
- 5 eggs
For the preparation:
- 4 tomatoes
- 2 cucumbers
1. Make small slices in the sausage, and place them on the grill. Turn them every so often so that it won’t get burned.
For the fried rice. Some people throw left over rice because they say it’s “old” rice. But not my father, rice is rice. For as long as it is not stale, you can still eat it. Frying rice the next day is one way of “recycling” food.
2. Peel and mince the garlic.
3. Pre-heat the oil. Once the oil is hot, put the garlic in. The garlic will cook quickly. Once it turns golden brown remove it from the pan. Set it aside.
4. Using the oil used in cooking the garlic, put the rice in. Turn the heat up. Stir occasionally so as not to burn the rice. The rice will be ready in 5-10 minutes.
For the preparation:
1. Peel and slice the cucumber.
2. Slice the tomatoes.
3. Prepare the rice by placing it in a measuring cup and placing it on a plate. Put the garlic on the rice.
4. Place the fried egg and grilled sausage in. (I don’t I need to show you how fried egg is fried.)
Voila. Breakfast for the family! Just like in “expensive” restaurants.