Liliw, Laguna is known for its fresh tomatoes and lanzones, not to mention it is the slipper capital of the Philippines. La Loma and Cebu are known for their lechon. Rizal is famous for its suman and other glutinous rice desserts. Baguio is known for its fresh vegetables. Negros is known as the sugar capital. Bicol is known for its coconut and coconut milk and cream dishes like bicol express and laing.
Like these different provinces and regions in the Philippines, Marikina is known for being the shoe capital, and a uniquely Marikina dish called Waknatoy.
I have eaten at different esteros in Quiapo and Sampaloc, at different small wallet-friendly restaurants and cafes along Katipunan Ave., and even the pricey nooks in Greenhills and Makati. Barrio Fiesta. Singing Cooks and Waiters. Cabalen. But none I believe offer the humble dish Waknatoy.
Waknatoy is exclusively Marikina. It is basically menudo with PICKLES!
If you are feeling quite adventurous, try this uniquely Marikina dish – Waknatoy!
Pickle Juice – 1/4 Cup
Soy Sauce – 1/4 Cup
Fish Sauce (Patis) – 1/4 cup
Carrot – 2 pcs.
Potato – 2 pcs.
Water – 1 Cup
Vienna Sausage – 1 Cup
Pickle Chips – 1 Cup
Red and Green Bell Pepper
Bread Crumbs – 1/2 cup
1. Boil liver and pork. When fork tender, set aside and allow to cool. Throw water.
2. Dice liver and pork.
3. Marinate with soy sauce and pickle juice. (15 minutes).
4. Heat pan and oil.
5. Saute garlic, onion and bay leaf.
6. Throw in the pork and liver.
7. Season with fish sauce (patis) and pepper.
8. Add in the tomato sauce. Simmer for 10 -15 minutes.
9. Throw in the potatoes and carrots. Simmer for another 10 – 15 minutes.
10. Add in the vienna sausage and pickle chips. Simmer for another 10 – 15 minutes.
11. Throw in the red and green bell pepper.
12. Add bread crumbs to thicken. (if desired)
Serve and enjoy!
Watch the video:
Remember to give our video a THUMBS UP and SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube Channel: dads home-cooked meals